Your teeth are made of a hard, bonelike material. Inside the tooth are nerves and blood vessels. You need your teeth for many activities you may take for granted. These include eating, speaking and even smiling. But tooth disorders are nothing to smile about. They include problems such as cavities (also known as tooth decay), infections, and injuries.
The most familiar symptom of a tooth problem is a toothache. Others include worn-down or loose teeth. It's important that you see a dentist if you have any problems with your teeth. Fortunately, you can prevent many tooth disorders by taking care of your teeth and keeping them clean.
Here's how to keep your mouth and teeth healthy:
· Brush your teeth every day with a fluoride toothpaste
· Clean between your teeth every day with floss or another type of between-the-teeth cleaner
· Snack smart - limit sugary snacks
· Don't smoke or chew tobacco
· See your dentist or oral health professional regularly