A poison is any substance that is harmful to your body. You might swallow it, inhale it, inject it, or absorb it through your skin. Any substance can be poisonous if too much is taken. Poisons can include
· Prescription or over-the-counter medicines taken in doses that are too high
· Overdoses of illegal drugs
· Carbon monoxide from gas appliances
· Household products, such as laundry powder or furniture polish
· Indoor or outdoor plants
· Metals such as lead and mercury
The effects of poisoning range from short-term illness to brain damage, coma, and death. To prevent poisoning it is important to use and store products exactly as their labels say. Keep dangerous products where children can't get to them. Treatment for poisoning depends on the type of poison. If you suspect someone has been poisoned, call your local poison control center right away.